Community discussion

4 months post surgery.

Archive date 33 archived replies

4 months post surgery. Are my bunions coming back?! definitely making a follow up appointment

No photo description available.

Archived from Bunion Support Group. View the original discussion on Facebook (sign-in may be required).

Community replies

33 in this archive

The visible discussion was fully captured at the time of collection.

Community comment#1

It certainly looks like your right foot one is. Do you have a plate with screws? That shouldn't happen only 4 months out if you do. I would see your podiatrist either way.

Community comment#2

Could be arthritic changes .

Community comment#3

Yes, thats why my Dr didnt do minimal surgery

Community comment#4

Did you change the type of shoes you wear?

Community comment#5

How were they fixed?

Community comment#6

Which foot had the surgery? I don't see any scars or post surgery change, unlike my left foot that has the big toe now "fatter" and straighter than the right one)

Community comment#7

I had my right foot done about 12 years ago, I've already had two surgeries on my right one and my bunion is worse than ever, I need to go back and have it done again but can't face it at the moment, maybe next year, I don't know.

Community comment#8

Mine did the same thing. Crazy. Plus they hurt worse then before surgery

Community comment#9

Did you have both feet done? My bunion reoccurred 3 months post op, it can happen, if you operated your right foot then yea, it did come back. After my second surgery, it's been like 8/9 months since and I can already see my big toe trying to shift inwards again. It's imperative that you do all the preventative measures, such as physio (specifically targeting your intrinsic foot muscles), correct footwear, custom orthotics and overall, id consider seeing a podiatrist to get your gait checked. Bunions are a byproduct of poor biomechanics, if you fix the bunion but not the cause, you might find it'll come back again (what happened to me)

Community comment#10

it looks to me like they have returned or they were never corrected in the first place

It looks like you have some hardware in there which should hold the bone in the correct position. I would definitely get is checked out. It takes a year to heal the bone fully and if you are following your surgeon's suggestiions etc. it should last a lifetime.

I would definitely try to. Because my two cents, that’s why it’s recurring. I wear my size but in wide and have had no problems 1 year later

Hi Jonnie. There are a couple of articles about work boots with width in the forefoot on the website. I linked to one article already, here is another one/ not sure if the info is repeated between the two articles, I didn’t delve deeply. Anya’s Reviews is a great resource. https://anyasreviews.com/.../are-there-barefoot-steel.../

Are There Barefoot Steel Toe Safety Work Boots? | Anya's Reviews

I don’t know why they don’t just ruled that first metatarsal back over and brace it because that’s what causes the onion to begin with. Now things are holding together with screws. Lapiplasty . It’s a good Surgery. None of the Surgery are perfect. But geez, I don’t know why they want to have everything held together with just a screw. but some people seem to do very well hopefully you are

yeah, I think that in a couple of years I should do the right one to match, as I have a deformation on that one too. Damn. What a horrid thing to live ...

im sorry this is happening to you, never fun thing to go through, honestly id go and get another xray (if the doctor tells you nothing is wrong, but there is a clear difference between post op xray and your recent x-ray - id get a second opinion) When I told my doctor it was coming back, she laughed at me and said it was all in my head and that it was completely fine - some doctors (not all) don't want to admit that they might of done something wrong or that their handy work failed - please please get a second or even third opinion- especially if there were issues with the hardware. When mine failed and my bunion reoccurred, I found out that I had a fibre-wire tying my big toe and second toe together and that ended up almost sawing my second toe in half. So please make sure to get multiple opinions to make sure nothing is seriously wrong

Community comment#23

At least your toes are straight

Community comment#24

It’s that first metatarsal joint that’s rolled over and caused the bunion to begin with. It needs to be rolled back and stationed in place.

Community comment#25

What surgery or doctor did it for you ? I desperately need this

Community comment#26

Looks like it.

Community comment#27

When I needed bunion surgery my Dr. did full foot reconstruction. That was 30 yrs ago. When done that way the bunion CANNOT come back. The bones going to the toes are all realigned, wired. Big toe is realigned and screwed in. Any other method is just a quicky shave the bunion and move the toe. Why bother with any method that won't last?

Community comment#28

I always wear gel metatarsal pads on my feet and wear well cushioned Sketchers shoes. My bunions don’t seem to be worsening as a result and hopefully I can avoid any operations.

Community comment#29

Yes

Community comment#30

Not very good look !

FriendlyReindeer8492 I really think it’s due to my safety shoes. The composite toe shoe gives no room for my toes. So I don’t think any kind of therapy is going to prevent that unfortunately. I work 60 plus hours in these horrible shoes 😭

Hi Jonnie, are there any work boots or safety shoes that are listed as recommended on the website that would suit the criteria for your workplace? Toe splay space is key!

The Best Wide Work Boots That Won't Kill Your Feet | Anya's Reviews

Hi Mark. Toe splay space is key, the Skechers may direct the big toe toward centre. It might be worthwhile to look into Altra Running Shoes and Topo Athletic Footwear and consider switching it up.

← More Bunion Surgery Recovery