Community discussion

12 weeks PO. Swelling has not went down, I still ice it daily. Neuropathy down my entire foot, up to my…

Archive date 30 archived replies

12 weeks PO. Swelling has not went down, I still ice it daily. Neuropathy down my entire foot, up to my though. Mobility and stiffness are still significant issues for me. I’m definitely regretting my decision to have this done to my right foot and I won’t ever have the left one done. I have psoriatic arthritis but my surgeon didn’t view that as a reason for me not to have the surgery. Anyone else have this amount of swelling beyond 12 weeks PO?

No photo description available.

Archived from Bunion Surgery / Foot Surgery Support. View the original discussion on Facebook (sign-in may be required).

Community replies

30 in this archive

The visible discussion was fully captured at the time of collection.

Community comment#1

Mine has gone down already I'm at 5 weeks this doesn't seem right

Community comment#2

Im in the exact same boat. Doctor has zero concerns and says it’s normal. I still limp significantly and can’t take a normal step without pain. I was supposed to do the left and I also will not be ever doing this again regardless of how bad it gets. I had surgery 6/15 and I’m just now finally getting the doctor to agree to physical therapy

Community comment#3

I’m 12 weeks today and I also still have swelling, I was told that the swelling would last 3 to 6 months with my surgery. I was non weight bearing for 7 weeks and then 4 more weeks with the walking boot. I’ve just started trying to walk in normal shoes but having trouble keeping my swelling down as well.

Community comment#4

can u please tell me exactly what kind of bunionectomy u had and any other associated procedures please?

Community comment#6

PSA is autoimmune, so yo uwill have more swelling and much more scar tissue buildup, that's how AI bodies react to stuff like this. My doctor warned me ahead of time that I would have more scarring and whatnot due to my two AIs. I have to do lots of physical therapy to try to stay ahead of the scar tissue buildup but it's still getting ahead of what my therapist and I can manage. Doc warned me he may have to do an additional surgery to take out the scar tissue after awhile to free the nerve and muscles again to help stiffness. Yours should have talked to you about this as well. I'm sorry it's been a surprise to you. Hang in there. My doc says swelling is common up to six months and not uncommon up to twelve.

Community comment#7

Firstly, I wouldn’t consider that excessive swelling for 12 weeks (going by the photo). Secondly, you make it sound like your surgeon forced you to have the surgery. Surely this is an elective surgery??? Forgive me if I’ve misinterpreted your post.

Community comment#8

I was told swelling can last up to a year. I'm almost 4 months and swelling has went down a lot in the last few weeks. I have inflammatory stuff going on and also had a ton of nerve pain for about 7 weeks..it was awful.

Community comment#9

You Dr should have told inflammation can last 6-12 he said all pro and cons in the consultation for surgery

Community comment#10

13 weeks and same as yours. Surgeon told me to ignore swelling🙄

he commented that sometimes it takes longer for the swelling to go down and also that I might be allergic to titanium. My husband wants me to get a second opinion

I had to have all my hardware out for this exact reason. Still painful 4 weeks after hardware removal and they just put me on Lyrica for nerve pain and start therapy again. I had my other foot done 7 years ago and had none of this. Regret this tremendously. My first surgery was February of this year

Community comment#17

Are you doing PT? It was suggested while the boot was on and I did at home but it wasn’t enough. After the boot came off and my insurance changed I just started last week. It definitely hurts more but I can tell already that my toe is starting to flex. I also had to cut down on my walking since I was walking wrong to compensate for the foot not flexing and I’m relearning to walk proper on it.

Community comment#18

If you’re mobile and on your feet a lot it’s gonna stay swelled prayers that your results turn out to make you happy

Community comment#19

I had significant swelling for 4 months. Still swells a little after a long day on my feet, a year and a half later. Hope you get relief soon. ♥️

Community comment#20

Hi. I’m at 10 weeks now and foot still a bit swollen but not as much as it was. Only issue I have is I can’t stand on one leg using foot that was operated on. anyone have a similar problem

Community comment#21

13 weeks PO here and my toes and ankle swell, live 80% of my days in compression sock. Walking is so stiff and slow. I want my old foot back. Like you I will never do left foot.

Community comment#22

Yes, month 3 was still painful and swollen. Month 4 much better. Still swollen now 5 months post op, but able to walk more and very little pain.

Community comment#23

Don’t get discouraged. My surgery was March 22. I’m coming up on 6 months. I am finally seeing less swelling and walking without a limp. I can stand for an hour at church. I still only wear gym shoes (Brooks and Saucony). Be patient, the healing process can be really slow.

Community comment#24

My Dr told me upfront I needed to be prepared for swelling for up to a year and that everyone is different.

Community comment#25

I think swelling is a result of not elevating it enough,try raising your foot straight up and hold it there for a couple of minutes a few times a day.you can even rest it on a wall if it's too heavy for you

Community comment#27

My Dr said swollen will be there from 6 months up to a year he told me everything pro and cons of having surgery.

Community comment#28

Well I’m 8 days post op. On day of surgery I was inflamed all over. Just inflamed not swelled. I don’t eat starches and day before surgery I had potato salad 3 times. Lol. So now the non permanent soft cast is very loose. I can wiggle my toes and it’s sliding down. I can’t see my toes but they doesn’t feel swollen. I’ll see Friday. So maybe it is something you are eating that may cause you to retain water for a few hours. I do think your feet look great. Remember we are our own worst critic.

Community comment#29

Nichole, loosen the laces as much as possible on your oldest, most-stretched-out gym shoe and take the insole out. That’s how I spent my first couple weeks after the boot (at 3 mos PO)

Community comment#30

How is your foot now after all this time?

← More Bunion Surgery Recovery